Friday, May 14, 2010

Letting Go

One of the greatest challenges I have faced in the past 20+ years is the great responsibility of nurturing our kids spiritually, physically, emotionally, and intellectually - while trying to balance the need to let go so that they can grow strong as they themselves work toward maturity. In the beginning, they are totally dependent, and then slowly, the tables turn and you have to start letting them face things on their own. By the time they head off to college, you feel like you have pretty much let go. But then again, can a mom REALLY let go?

I guess that is why I find myself meditating on "letting go" these days. Just about 1 month ago, we learned that Emily has diabetes. It was a shock for our family, but we are adjusting and doing well. What has particularly struck me, is that from day 1, Emily has been trained to manage her situation and she is responsibly doing all her finger pricks and insulin shots on her own. It is gratifying to see her independence, but it feels a bit funny too. Then less than a week ago, Aaron graduated from college - that takes letting go to a whole new level! In only a few weeks, David will graduate from high school and return to the US where he will attend Asbury University. I guess that I am learning that letting go is a process rather than a marked moment. That is a good thing! Letting go is not as easy as it sounds! But we are proud of our kids and glad to see their independence, and maturity as it takes root and they manage life responsibly!

1 comment: